Saturday 7 June 2008

Things I'd Like to Find

Some clue as to when Edward Jewitt died (b.1756; yes, him again).
I have more information on this ancestor than many others, but do I know when or where he died? No, I don't. And he could have been in Hull, Lincs, London or even America. Or anywhere else, frankly. I want to find him. If he made a will, that would be even better. Finally some real proof that he was or wasn't father of both John Rodgers Jewitt and Francis (Brown) Jewitt.

Ellen Hargrave's birth certificate.
The poor mite died in St Pancras workhouse in November 1848 and the workhouse master couldn't even bother to put her parents' names on the death cert. Luckily, the workhouse records still exist, so I could prove she was mine. But I want her birth certificate. In this period, I'd normally assume that she wasn't registered, but in this case all her siblings were. Why can't I find her?

John Jewitt's marriage to Amelia
Maybe the aforementioned death cert will give me some clue as to her previous name, but I can't find this and it seems a little late for one of those second marriages where neither partner bothered to actually marry. (1897-1901). But I can't find it.

What happened to Joseph Washer?
I suspect possibly a death on board ship or something. I cannot find his burial yet and really, I should have been able to.

As any family historian knows, our ancestors do this sort of thing to annoy us. It wouldn't be family history if it was all easy, would it?

No comments: