Saturday 7 June 2008

Certificate Fever

I've been spending some ill-gotten gains (well, not really) on more certificates. As this money came via a family history source, I have to put it towards research, don't I?

So I've been buying those certificates I wonder about, rather than the certain ones.

I'm looking forward to finding out what happened to Mary Turner and Amelia Jewitt (who are reasonably safe bets) and Caroline Louisa Jewitt, who may be a missing daughter of John Francis and Martha Ann Jewitt. She fits neatly into the gap between the two eldest sisters and Martha had an elder sister called Caroline.

Plus, trying to make sense of the Nelmes family who elude me, despite their helpfully unusual surname. They lived in London, which complicates everything. However, two likely candidates for missing siblings who died young are James and Charles. (Even if not 'mine', there's a strong likelihood of their being connected somewhere down the line, so I feel it's a risk worth taking.)

Thinking along the same lines, it occurs to me that ordering a clutch of early Nelmes marriages from London might begin to show who's connected to who. I'm going to consider that one a little longer before I finish my reckless spending, though.

Trouble is, my other certs haven't come after 5 working days, so it looks as though the GRO is getting slow again. Ordering more at this point may not be good for me! I shall have to learn the lesson of patience, but it's hard work when certificates could arrive any day.

No comments: