Friday 15 February 2008

Somerset Investigations

I had a chance to go to the Somerset Record Office while I was home for Christmas. Intending to chase my YOUNG and WASHER lines, I ended up making a breakthrough on my PADDON line.

Maria Paddon (b.c. 1814 in Bridgwater) was straightforward enough, but her father George had already tried complicating things even on a first, brief acquaintance. (Two George Paddon marriages in one year, both of them to a Sarah, when one of them should have been a Mary? But this is family history, so far, so much as usual.)

However, playing around with the settlement / bastardy indexes at the SRO led me to some old poor law documents that helped establish that my Paddon line were from Cannington, rather than Bridgwater and had been there since before the 17th C. New sources for me and a great lead for what had looked like being a difficult branch of the tree.

(More of this when I transcribe it... )

No comments: